Thursday, August 25, 2011

The down of ups and downs

My sweet baby has been sick with his first cold this past week.  It's been pretty miserable.  For all of us.  I've had to suction his poor little nose out, douse him with ibuprophen and antihistamines, and we've all lost sleep.  The poor thing has been through the ringer this week and I've been the one to have to do most of the torturing.  But tonight broke my heart.  His teeth have been coming in as well and I could tell they were majorly bothering him tonight.  So I had to give him some Advil.  I ran out of infant Advil so I had to use childrens Advil (with the proper dosing of course), which means more liquid since it isn't as concentrated as infants.  When I did he ended up getting some up his little nose which I'm sure burned because he flipped out.  Screaming, snorting, crying, rubbing his nose miserableness.  This led to more snot and congestion which led to him not being to breathe.  Out comes our new battery operated snot sucker.  I have to hold him down in our recliner with my leg to hold his arms, one hand holding his head and the other working the sucker.  He screams bloody murder.   I tried to change his diaper after this, but since I had usually tried to suck his nose out with him on the ground (before the battery operated sucker), he screams when I lay him down to change a diaper because he thinks I'm going to suck out his nose.  So in my attempt to get him to smile I decided to give him a bath.  He LOVES bathtime.  So I take him into the bathroom, run the water and get him ready.  We usually play in front of the mirror for a bit before he jumps in the tub.  But tonight was different.  He wouldn't smile for me.  No giggling, no gummy/half-toothy grin, no flinging of his arms and legs in delight.  He just stared at me in the mirror.  Like I was the guard standing outside the torture chamber.  It made me sad because I know that this will not be the last time he won't smile for me because of something I had to do that he didn't like. 

Here's to an up day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment