Sunday, August 14, 2011

Toasted Butter and Oats Oatmeal Cookies

So I made these cookies one time back when we lived in Oklahoma.  I was looking for a different kind of cookie to make and ran across a recipe in an old Southern Living cookbook I had.  After some tinkering, I got these.  They were amazing.  And I can't believe I haven't made them in like 4 years.  So tonight, around, mmmm 9:30pm, my lovely husband asked if we had the ingredients to make cookies.  (Meaning, "Do we have the ingredients for you to make cookies for me?")  Any other time I would have probably pouted until he said, "It's ok, I'll just drink some chocolate milk."   But no.  Not tonight.  Because earlier today, he was the Handy Man.  He fixed my dryer.  It went out on Saturday evening.  And my Sunday afternoon it was fixed.  (It was the heating coil.)  That is a less than 24 hour turn around.  That is very, very rare.  Usually to get a special project done around this house (hanging pictures, fixing the toilet, planting plants, cleaning the garage out) it takes weeks of us talking about it.  Then a few more weeks of putting it on our weekend schedules (which flies out the window once Friday evening hits).  Then finally I get irritated at the lack of getting anything done and try to do the project, foul it up, and the hubs fixes my flubs.  (I'm not that inept, but that exact thing happened when I tried to put on child safety stoppers on our kitchen cabinet doors, where we keep all the dangerous stuff, like soap, cleaners, etc.  I followed the directions but the stupid things kept falling off their sticky stuff before I could even remotely get them placed right to screw in.  So, I got irritated [see a pattern?] and told him he had to do it.  A good job yet again.  I can hang a picture....but for the sake of the argument...)  Anyways, so since he had so quickly fixed my dryer, at 1/5th the cost of calling a repairman, I happily decided to make him cookies.  We had no chocolate chips so I went for the next cookie that came to mind.  Oatmeal.  But I really, really didn't want some plain Jane Oatmeal cookie.  Then I remember this doozy.  So good.........


Toaste Oatmeal Cookies
Ok...I'll admit.  Not the best picture ever.  But I was tired, it's 10:30pm now and I just pulled the last batch out, and in mommy land, it's past the point of tired and you're just slap worn out.

3/4 c. butter
2c. quick-cooking oats, uncooked (duh)
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2c. flour (i used white whole wheat by King Arthur but you can use AP flour)
1t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1c. coarsely chopped pecans/almonds etc (optional) (not shown)

1.) Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally (Don't burn)
2.) Add oats and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until oats are golden.  Let cool.
3.) Combine sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl.
4.)Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; stir in oats.  Add to sugar mixture, stirring well (or do like I do and just dump it all in the bowl at the same time)
5.)Drop dough in ball form (about golf ball size, maybe a little smaller) onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.  They spread like mad so leave room. 
6.)Bake @ 350F for about 8-12 minutes or until golden and lovely. 

I've added chocolate chips before (about 1/4 cup-ish), I almost added peanut butter tonight but forgot because my mommy brain can keep a thought in it for about 2.4 seconds and it's gone. Meaning by the time I made it to the cabinet where the peanut butter is, I forgot I was going to add it in.

These babies are thin, and crispy, but soft and chewy at the same time.  They are everything you could want in a cookie and more.  When I eat one, it's like looking in to the dewy eyes of Bambi on a beautiful spring day.  Not really, but you get the point.  So go and make these today, and let me know what you think of them.  If'they're not the best cookies you've had, lie to me and tell me they were. 




1 comment: