Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chrorizo and Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers

1 lb. Chorizo (uncooked)
2c. cooked brown rice (although I think next time I will try uncooked, there was a lot of liquid)
2 cans tomatos with green chilies (like Rotel, but I used RedGold)
1/2 onion, chopped (I just had this sitting around in the fridge needing to be used.
1t. worchestershire sauce (I think I'll add a little more next time)
1T. ketchup (I saw this ingredient in another recipe...I probably should have used tomato paste)
pepper and salt (I didn't add any salt because I figured there was enough in the tomatos and chorizo...WRONG!)
1/3 c. veggie juice, or water
Clean out your peppers....save your tops.  They're pretty when you put them back on.  
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. 
Stuff your peppers.
Put all your peppers in your crock pot.  I used 6 because I have a large crock pot.  It's better to fill up your crock pot.  I might have even been able to put another small one in here.  I just dumped the rest of the filling in the bottom of the pot.  Then I added the veggie juice to the bottom.  This recipe produced enough liquid I probably didn't need to do this step. Put the lid on, turn the pot on low and let-her rip for 8 hours.
 Here is the finished product.  
These were ok.  I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers either.  They cooked alright.  I just don't think I liked the filling.  It ended up being way too soggy.  I still think I'll try uncooked brown rice next time.
The thing I love the most about this recipe was that it took me about 5 minutes to mix everything, clean and stuff the peppers and get it in the crock pot.  That's my kind of dinner!  Maybe I'll play with it and try it again.  This time with hamburger and uncooked brown rice.  Maybe some sort of different pepper like poblanos.

No comments:

Post a Comment