Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dumpster Diving


Who doesn't like dumpster diving? Or what I did, curbside trash shopping!  I'm out on a walk this evening with Munchkin to get out of the house for a little bit.  I go down a road I wasn't really planning on going down, but I was following this loose dog to try and grab it and see who's it was.  It had tags so I was going to attempt to bring back some lonely old lady's dog.  It never came to me and just ran off but anyways.  I'm walking down the road and I see a pile of garbage in the distance.  Didn't look like your regular black garbage bags so I continued on to see what it was.  It was on the other side of the road, and to not look suspicious I continued on until the turn around/cul-de-sac and walked by it.  There was a dresser, ladder, and some other junk.  I was thrilled!  I've been looking for a small dresser and lo and behold, I found one!!  And I was even going to pay for one!  YIKES!  As I gandered over this stuff I hurried my pace to round up the hubs to make him go back with our truck and get the free prizes.  I even made him go out before the Cowboys game was over.  And he missed the winning field goal.  He's such a great guy!  Here's what we got:
A propane flamey thingy.  Not 100% sure what exactly these are called but I refer to them as turkey deep fryers.  My husband was thrilled.  Already making plans to fry our house...I mean a turkey.
Here is the 8 foot wooden ladder.  We don't have a ladder at all.  We went and priced them when we had a little extra spending money (that RARELY happens) and they were quite expensive (metal ones).  Let me tell you why this is such a huge find for us.  We love Christmas.  And what I mean by that is we prefer to turn our Christmas into the Griswolds and if our neighbors don't make a comment about our Christmas lights, we obviously didn't put up enough and we go out and buy more until they comment.  We have giant Rubbermaid tubs FULL of lights.  Two of them.  Last year, we parked our truck close to the house under the eave of the house and my husband climbed the truck to get up to the roof to apply our Christmas lights.  I wish I had taken a picture because the caption would have been "White Trash does Christmas."  Anyways,  we're excited because now he has a normal way to get to the roof.  
Here he is showing off his fantastic find.
This was the first thing I saw.  The 2nd drawer actually isn't really like that...we just pulled it out to look at it and didn't put it back in correctly.  It may be ugly now.  Nothing a little sanding, painting, and new pulls won't fix.  We did it for Munchkins dresser!
Last but not least, a pretty cool garden tool that I didn't even see.  I'm hoping to have a raised garden next year.  Raised because unless I want to grow sticker burrs and sand castles, ain't nothing good gonna grow in our backyard sand trap.

So moral of the story, keep your eyes out for your neighbors trash.  There's no shame in dumpster diving/curbside trashpile shopping.  And if there is...go at night.





2 comments:

  1. that is the coolest dumpster dive ever!! JESUS CHRIST!! WAY TO GO ERIN You never cease to amaze me
    lILy !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks lilz! I even used the ladder we found to paint our house numbers yesterday!

    ReplyDelete